Pages

Monday 18 June 2012

What's In My Hospital Bag? Labour & Delivery Essentials

My bag - Which is actually my spare diaper bag (by the brand Skip*Hop) 

So as you may all have realized from my Instagram posts, as well as various tweets (if you follow me on Twitter), yes I am indeed pregnant, and yes it is in fact twins! Needless to say getting two for the price of one came as a huge shock, but the biggest blessing I could ever imagine! 
That being said, I am going to attempt to do more posts on "motherly" topics - if you guys respond to this well, then I will certainly make a point to continue on with this habit. For the time being I am going to focus a couple posts on things that are slightly related to the usual topic of my blog though (I don't want to dive into diaper posts with you when you've clearly become used to beauty related topics, haha). 

So for my first of two posts I have planned I am showing you all what I have packed in my labour and delivery bag(s). As I am having twins there is a chance I will be staying in the hospital a little longer, which has lead me to pack extra things for both me and the babies. I am using my spare diaper bag (for convenience purposes) for my things, and my primary diaper bag for all of their things (seen in the photos above). 

As I am writing this post it is still a go for a vaginal delivery, despite baby B being breach, my OB is confident this will not be an issue for me, although there is always the possibility of a C-section. I did much research online, as well as asked friends what they have needed/recommend, this is what I have come up with! If you have any further suggestions please feel free to let me know! 


Maxi Pads;
I just grabbed store brand as I expect to be doing through them rather quickly, the hospital should provide some to you as well so there's really no reason to be spending too much $.

Nursing Pads;
These are essential, you don't want to end up ruining any of your bras/tops as a result of any leakage you will be sure to have regardless of if you choose to breast feed or not. 

Full Cover Panties;
For full coverage, comfort, and to prevent the worry of ruining any of your own - I grabbed a pack of 4 from Walmart for about $6. 

Hand Sanitizer;
Good for both you and your guests - although I know the hospital has sani pumps absolutely everywhere I just feel good about having and extra supply. 

Slippers/Comfy Socks;
Nothing beats having your own things, and being able to walk around in comfort - going bare foot in a hospital setting can get rather chilly. 

Robe;
Same thing... comfort! Also, hospital gowns leave little to the imagination if you are wanting to get up and walk around during labour. I may not end up using it, but it's nice to know I have it anyways. 

Comfy Post Labour Clothing;
Loose t-shirts/tanks (a couple of each incase my stay is prolonged), black track pants/yoga pants (black to avoid "accidents"). I will utilize these items for 'coming home' as well, but I also included a maxi dress incase the day we leave is hot/humid, and let's face it, when your possibly all swollen and still looking about 5 months pregnant you do not want to be squeezing into tight clothing. 

Makeup/Toiletries Bags;
I will be doing a separate post on what I have packed for both these bags - I figured it would only be fitting to do so as I have based this blog around beauty products after all! 


The girls' bag - My actual diaper bag I plan on using (made by 'Soothtime') 

All other baby supplies;
Obviously each hospital is completely different, and when preparing for your hospital stay you should look into your hospital/birthing centers policies and the kind of items that will be available to you. Luckily for me I have friends who work at the hospital I am going to be giving birth at, so it was easy for me to gain info on what would be a good idea to pack. 

I have included - diapers, bottles, formula, baby wipes, and pacifiers. I have also included a couple outfits for going home purposes, their own hats, socks, and finally several receiving blankets (which I intend to use for swaddling purposes). 

Aside from those items mentioned, the only other things I believe we will be bringing is items for 'daddy-to-be', such as a change of clothing, an extra pillow and blanket and some snacks. 


I hope this was helpful, and if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know! 
Otherwise I will try and update you on how useful or not all of these items were for us. 

Keep an eye out for my makeup/toiletries post, 
until next time! 

xo, Hannah




No comments:

Post a Comment