Pages

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Five Things - Drugstore Face Powders

Today I decided to write about something I use pretty well everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, both with and without foundation, and all year round - powders!

They're essential for many reasons - setting your foundation, brightening up your complexion, stopping those pesky oils from appearing, and giving you a quick and simple way to get a little touch of coverage on days when your not looking to use anything too heavy. 

I've gathered up my five drugstore (low end) favorites to show you all. They're great if you don't have a big budget, or you just want something cheap to throw in your travel makeup bag so you don't have to worry about your $50 powder shattering while you're on the go. 


1. Maybelline Dream Matte Powder - I have actually heard through the grape vine they are discontinuing this (say it ain't so!), but if you can still find it try to get your hands on it. Its finely milled and provides a great matte finish without looking chalky. This one specifically I love using on its own with a little concealer for a light makeup day. 

2. Covergirl Clean Pressed Powder - This powder range comes in several different varieties, based on your skin type, I have the 'normal skin' variety even though I'm much more on the combo/oily side. I love this because it feels light and breathable, while still doing what it's supposed to be doing. The only complaint I have about this is the scent, which reminds me somewhat of a face wash I once used in my younger days (oxy clean maybe?). It's not enough to really bother me all that much, and doesn't last long once applied, but I could see how this could possibly bother others who are more sensitive to scented products, especially ones that are going directly on your face. 

3. Rimmel Stay Matte - This is, like for many out there, a holy grail product that I must always have a back up of. It is cheap (about $5 CAD), but does what most high end powders only wish they could do. It claims up to 5 hours natural shine control, and in my experience it does the job! I can't say enough good things about this product. If you haven't tried it, do it! You wont regret it, especially if you have combo/oily skin like me. 

4. Maybelline Fit Me - Yes, two Maybelline powders in the same post! But let me say, they know how to make good products, and this powder is certainly up there with their dream matte as well. It doesn't have as much of a mattefying result as the dream matte, but it provides a lovely, soft, barely there look to your skin once applied both alone or over foundation. 

5. Elf Studio Pressed Powder - This is most affordable of the 5 powders I'm mentioning ($3 CAD) so it can be expected that it is a little more loosely packed, which only means you just need to use a little more caution not to over do it so that you don't look chalky or caky. It maintains a matte finish for several hours before touch up is required, so for being so affordable it is well worth the purchase to have on hand in your beach bag or where ever else your nice products don't really belong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment