Pages

Saturday 22 November 2014

Simple Holiday DIY - Transform Jars Into Home Decor



Today I have this little tutorial for you all that combines my loves for crafting, christmas and recycling materials to make cool new items. I had seen a lot of these types of DIYs on Pinterest many times and finally I decided that it was too cheap and easy not to give it a whirl. 

What you need:

Empty glass jars/containers of any kind (use your imagination!)
Acrylic paint in the color of your choice
Nail polish remover
Scrap paper to cove your work surface



The first step is to take your container and clean it - I'm using an old pasta sauce jar which I already peeled the label off of and rinsed out. You can see there is residue from the label glue still on the glass, so that's where the nail polish remover comes into play. Put some nail polish remover on a cotton pad and rub over the glue areas, it may take a little effort but it looks lovely once you're done. Then follow up by giving it a really good final washing with warm water and soap. 

Next, lay out your scrap paper/newspaper where you're going to be doing the painting. Then it is literally as easy as squirting the paint directly into the jar/container. I recommend doing a little bit at a time, and then waiting for it to drip/run down the sides before adding much more. Allow the paint to cover all the sides by setting it on its side as well and allowing the paint to run. Slowly but surely your entire container will be covered.



Finally tip your container upside down and allow all excess paint to drip out (about 10 minutes), then flip back right way up so it can dry fully and there you have it! 



Keep in mind the version I've done uses only acrylic paint, there for you can't use these for any purpose that may end up in them getting wet (vase for flowers, tooth brush holder etc.). I love them just set out on shelves and mixed in with my other decor, but you can use them in almost any way you wish, your imagination is the only barrier! These could be done in so many different colors and would look amazing for other party decor for any occasion!



Let me know if you enjoyed this little DIY and if you try it out! 
Also leave requests in the comments if there is something you would like me to DIY.

See you in my next post!  

No comments:

Post a Comment