Pages

Sunday 18 January 2015

Five Things | Mood Boosting Books

From time to time I get feeling like I'm a little down and in a bit of a slump, as I'm sure most people can relate to every now and again. I've found over the years that when I get feeling this way there is nothing better for me than to read. I feel that transporting your mind to another place with a good book can really help you to take a step back from what ever stressful or upsetting situation is occurring in your life and allow yourself to calm and relax. 

I have compiled five of my favorite books that serve the exact purpose of picking up my mood and allowing my to de stress and even laugh out loud. Obviously everyone has different taste in books, but I thought I would share five of my favorites with you in hopes it will inspire all of you. 



The Little Book of Answers
This is just such a fun book to flip through at your leisure. It's filled with, you guessed it, answers! Answers to random and even silly things, things you didn't even know you wanted to know.
Example - "Why do we call Academy Awards 'Oscars'?"

All Things Wise and Wonderful
I have had this book for many many years. I believe it originated from my parents book shelf, and I took it for something to try reading, and probably ten years later it still hasn't been returned. This novel depicts the life of a Veterinary Surgeon living in a fictional town in England. The story is at times sad, but overall a very heart warming tale. This may not be everyones cup of tea, but I've read it numerous times because, for some reason, it speaks to me. Picking up this book is like talking to an old friend.

The Book of Awesome
If you have never heard of, or flipped through this book (there is also a sequel), then you absolutely must! It is based off of very simple scenarios/smells/objects etc. Each chapter is a topic such as "The smell of Crayons", and the chapter describes how the specific topic is awesome. It's a very simplistic read, and one that leaves you nodding your head and smiling as you recall your own memories that go along with each chapters topic.

Seriously.... I'm Kidding 
I don't think much explanation is necessary with this one - Ellen Degeneres can put a smile on pretty much everyones face I think. Read this book and you'll be laughing out loud, I promise.

Extreme Vinyl Cafe
This is one of many Stewart McLean books in my collection and ever since discovering his short stories about a fictional family from Toronto Ontario Canada he has become one of my favorite writers and Canadians. The stories are down to earth and simplistic tales of the daily life and general happenings of a family of four. The stories are light and fun. I find his books to be almost like a comfort food - makes me feel happy and warm and safe.



Please let me know if you liked this post - let me know if you would like me to do more book related posts in the future! 


No comments:

Post a Comment